Film, life and everything in between

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Trailerblazing -- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay/The Boy Next Door

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (2014) -- November 21, 2014 -- directed by Francis Lawrence -- starring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks


Well, this trailer certainly inspires confidence. First off, District 13 looks EXACTLY as I was imagining it while reading the book. It is a grim, metallic, claustrophobic depository for reluctant warriors, the kind that Katniss, Gale, Johanna and their fellow Capitol survivors are forced to become. Come to think of it, where is Johanna? I love the rocky friendship that she and Katniss forge in the novel and hope that it is not a story aspect that has been cut. On another note, I am glad that we will get to see more of the connection between Katniss and Gale, since I feel that their friendship is one of the few things that keep Katniss sane. The trailer also hints at a strong emphasis on District 13 politics, one of the crucial elements of the narrative. I love the idea of Julianne Moore as Alma Coin, but think that the film version of the character looks too polished for District 13's utilitarianism. I have always imagined her as weary, stoic and despotic, but cannot wait to see Moore's portrayal. Finally, I really like the look of the action scenes. The book offers some spectacular sequences and Lawrence has proved his flair for Suzanne Collins's trilogy with Catching Fire, so I know that he will do Mockingjay justice as well. The best news? The epic November sequel is only two months away.

The Boy Next Door (2014) -- January 23, 2015 -- directed by Rob Cohen -- starring Jennifer Lopez, Ryan Guzman, Kristin Chenoweth, John Corbett


And this one... does not. Neither Cohen nor Lopez have the best thriller track record, although The Skulls was entertaining and the suspense of Enough was appealing. Unfortunately, The Boy Next Door looks like a Lifetime movie, and not the juicy kind; more like the seen-it-all-before kind. Obsessive lovers, accused teachers, sexy photos, suburban chaos... it has all been done a gazillion times before. It does not seem particularly exciting and I am just hoping that the story is not too bland. I have huge respect for Lopez as an entertainer and business woman, but I wish she picked better roles. I am counting on potential twists and good dialogue, but then I remember the January release date and remember that I should know better. Let us hope that the movie can surprise us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home